Fireplace & Chimney Cleaning
According to the National Fire Protection Agency you should have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned as needed. If your fireplace or chimney is not working as designed, it can pose risk to the health and safety of the family living in the home and the home its self. Wood burning stoves need to be cleaned every 6 to 12 months. The time between cleaning will change depending on the type of wood that you are burning. Usually if you burn a half a cord of wood or more in a season your chimney will need a yearly cleaning.
****Gas Heating Homeowner****
Many homeowners have the misconception that once they get a gas heating system that they no longer need their chimney maintained. True, your gas system will not need to be cleaned like a wood stove however, it is highly recommended that they are inspected every 2 to 3 years. When we do an inspection for a gas heating system we are looking for cracks, deterioration or blockage that could cause deadly gas buildup in your home.
What To Expect From Your Chimney Technician
- When the technician arrives, he will perform a preliminary chimney safety inspection to determine if you need a chimney cleaning – rather than just automatically cleaning it.
- Then he will make sure everything is in proper working order, that the chimney is structurally sound, that there are not any cracks, clogs, deterioration, or safety hazards. He will inspect the smoke chamber and the damper, then check the ash dump and pipes of the furnace.
- He will do a rooftop inspection to check the upper condition of the chimney, examining the mortar joints and the inside of the flue. He will check the flashing and concrete and/or chimney cap.
A video scan will be done so that he can get a better look and show you exactly what is going on inside your chimney.
- If the chimney is ready for a cleaning and you want it cleaned, he will lay out tarps and setup a sweep vacuum at the bottom of the chimney to collect the dust and debris… Chimney Doctors offers a No Mess Guarantee!
- If you need a chimney cap or minor repairs, the technician will usually be able to take care of that at the time of the cleaning.